Ex-Ekiti State Gov, Fayose’s fraud trial takes a new turn

The N2.2bn fraud trial of former Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose was stalled on Friday as the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission accused the ex-governor of going behind to threaten and compromise one of the prosecution witnesses.

The EFCC lawyer, Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), told Justice C.J. Aneke that the anti-graft agency had decided to use another witness instead of the one allegedly compromised by Fayose.

Jacobs alleged that the defendant went behind to meet and threaten the witness, Adewale Aladegbola, a bullion van driver with Zenith Bank, Ado-Ekiti branch.

The prosecutor said as a result of the alleged threat and compromise, Aladegbola gave evidence that was different from what he wrote in his statement at the EFCC office during the investigation.

Aladegbola had appeared before Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, who was earlier hearing the case.

“It is only in our country that this type of things happens; the witness before Olatoregun J., was compromised by this defendant,” Jacob said.

He accused Fayose of attempting to pervert the course of justice, saying, “If not because of my intervention, this defendant would have been facing another charge.”

Fayose’s lawyers, Messrs Ola Olanipekun (SAN) and Olalekan Ojo (SAN), had earlier opposed the attempt to replace Aladegbola with Johnson Abidakun, who is the Head of Operations, Zenith Bank, Ado-Ekiti branch.

Related posts

Leave a Comment

Protected by WP Anti Spam